How to Practice Transcribing and Pass a Transcription Test
If you are looking to land a job as a medical transcriptionist, you best be prepared to train for perfection and pass certain exams. There’s no magical switch to get yourself ready for any career you may choose to pursue, and just like any other jobs, preparation will be key in ensuring that you won’t fail on the most important test that will determine your future as a transcriptionist. Here are some tips that can help you pass the online test and ensure that all your hard work will pay off: Practice typing regularly. While each medical facility or business may have its own preference, you need to start typing at least 60 words per minute (wpm) without making errors. You can go slower to pass the test (about 35 wpm) but any slower and you may fail. A good rule of thumb is to type without looking at the keyboard during practice sessions. Use videos that you enjoy and start transcribing them even if you don’t have the equipment yet. Make this a regular habit if you want to be a professional medical transcriptionist. Remember the basics. As an aspiring medical transcriptionist you need to remember the basics before taking a test:
- Proper punctuation – learn when you should and shouldn’t use certain punctuation.
- Transcription rules as per the Association for Healthcare Documentation Integrity.
- Common abbreviations used during dictation
- Different formats and types of medical reports
- Medical prefixes and suffixes
- Specific terminology pertaining to specialties such as cardiology or orthopedics.
- Symbols that may be used in medical reports
- How to enter dates in medical reports
- How to type out drug dosages
- Appropriate use of upper and lowercase abbreviations for pharmaceuticals
Plus, to be a good medical transcriptionist, you need to familiarize yourself with the Big 4, namely:
- Discharge summaries
- History and Physical
Last but not least, you need to be good proofreader and editor. You may not be able to spot mistakes the first time around, but errors will become apparent with time and practice. Experience is the best way to prepare for the test or any certificate exam for that matter. Sit for the test anytime you are ready since it can be taken online.
[bctt tweet="Experience is the best way to prepare for the test or any certificate exam for that matter"]
Medical Transcription Test. No need to go all the way to an institute to take a medical transcription test. Just take the Free Medical Transcription Test from Meditec by visiting the website. Just click on the link provided on the page and go take your shot!