Working from home may have benefits over working in an office but the same as any job, you have to work hard and persevere to be successful in your industry and the same as in any field, stress gets to the professional. It’s true that some sources of stress can be avoided by people who work from home such as traffic, hassles of commuting, bad weather day and so much more but there will still be sources of headaches and tension from home.
Here are a couple of tips to help work from home professionals avoid mental or emotional strains or stress.
- Don’t focus your time on work – a lot of people choose to work from home because they can’t really leave home – personal reasons or preference (such as they have to take care of kids). Once you are done with you’re the things you need to do at home, be sure that you have a routine that includes a schedule. Be sure to have a start time and an end time and that your colleagues, boss or employer knows and agrees to it. Don’t focus all your time in work or else you won’t be able to attend to other important things in your life.
- Exercise – be sure to include eating and living healthy in your daily routine along with a timely exercise. A healthy body can help you avoid stress and being sick.
- Learn to say no – some employers take advantage of work at home employees especially in emergencies. You might receive calls in the middle of the night for some tasks that needs to be done. Be sure to weigh in the importance of the task but learn to say NO when you think that it is something that can be scheduled the next day or should be done by another department.
- Take breaks – just because you’re at home doesn’t mean you have to be in front of your computer at all times. Learn to take breaks as this also helps refresh and re energize your mind and body.
- Take a vacation and stick with it – every once in a while, take the time to get out of town with the family. Don’t take your computer with you as you may end up working instead file a leave.
- Avoid distractions – yes there will be more diversions from home so learn to avoid and prevent things that can stop you giving full attention to your job as this may cause you to lose focus and not be able to perform 100% for the tasks.
- Set up a home office – be sure to set up your work space in a place where you can focus. Avoid placing your computer and your work gadgets in places near things like television.
- Have clean workplaces – nobody likes to work in a workplace that is not organized or that is not clean.
- Be ergonomic – set up an ergonomic office to help you avoid physical restraints caused by the wrong position of your body such as back pain, neck, arms and wrist problems.
- Don’t procrastinate – working from home gives you access to a lot of things such as games, entertainment and other distractions. Because work from home employees are not directly monitored by employers, some may end up procrastinating or doing something else aside from their jobs. Be sure to focus and attend to other things only when you are done with your tasks or work hours.
Following these simple tips can help you avoid stress and be a more productive work from home professional. Follow our blog for more tips and resources like this.
Please leave your comment or suggestions for more work from home tips.