The United States military actively stations its personnel around the world. These military personnel often leave behind families that don’t get to see their beloved son or husband for many months. Military spouses are particularly in a tough position because of the absence of their significant other. There is also the fact that many spouses travel with their partners. Does it put them in a kind of lifestyle that doesn’t help them land a job, because who would consider hiring an employee that is destined to leave in a matter of months? It doesn’t set them up for promotions as well. The constant job hopping gets recorded on the CV and employers are less than thrilled by such endeavors. All of these problems are something that military spouses face. In fact, unemployment affects 90 percent of female military spouses, according to a report by the Military Officers Association of America (MOAA).
[bctt tweet="..unemployment affects 90 percent of female military spouses.."]
Work-from-home jobs are best in such situations. The government of the United States acknowledges the brave service of its military and has setup a program to help military spouses find employment. Besides that, here are five work from home jobs for military spouses to consider.
- Freelance Jobs. The digital age is witnessing many businesses working remotely, thus making work from home jobs for military spouses a possibility. The internet has empowered people to take up jobs which they can work from the comfort of their homes. As a military spouse, your best options for freelance work are websites like Fivver and UpWork. These websites provide a platform where individuals can sign-up to offer services in their area of expertise. The registration is completely free and subject to review. Once approved, you can build your profile and wait to be tapped for home-based projects. It’s a very convenient way to earn money from home. Blogging is another option. Setting up a website is easy nowadays; you’ll have a blog up and running in no time. The blog can earn you money through advertisement when people visit the website. Establishing a name is tedious, so consider working on the side while you freelance.
- Start a Kitchen Service. A successful food business requires three things: a kitchen, a dedicated chef, and the ability to deliver. If you can deliver on those three fronts, then consider running a food operation out of your home. You can offer to cook meals for families who can’t do it themselves, or you can offer the same to offices in the vicinity. Perhaps the best part is that it doesn’t have to be a daily chore. You can set up the operation to receive orders on some days, or during specific hours in the day.
- Call Center Jobs. Another option to consider is taking up a customer support job. The job requires you to be available during specific hours of the day, and receive phone calls from customers of the business you work for. Your duty would be to assist the customer in any way. You are the offshore helpline for the company.
- Offer Tutorials Online. Similar to online freelance, it is also possible to deliver education via the power of the internet. It is a booming industry. Teaching is an occupation held in high regard, so prior credentials and experience may be required. Tutor.com is in partnership with the US Department of Defense under the Military Spouse Employment Partnership (MSEP), to help military spouses earn a living by teaching over the internet. The platform allows flexibility, so you can choose a schedule that works best.
- Work On Social Media. The digital age is pushing businesses to establish and maintain an online presence through social media channels, such as Facebook, Instagram, and LinkedIn. It has become so incumbent that there are now jobs dedicated entirely to social media management. Some of these jobs allow the flexibility to work from home. You have to be good at communicating and have an adequate understanding of the dynamics of digital marketing. Over the years, video content creation has increased exponentially. Thanks to YouTube, people are earning by making high-quality videos. If you’re good at something, consider jumping into content creation. If the content is good, you’ll get subscribers. And the more views you have, the more money you’ll make.
Alternatively, you can start with online training if you feel like you still need to improve some of your skills before turning them into profit. Unemployment can be a difficult phase. But with access to the internet, you’ll be amazed at what you can achieve by being a little creative. The list of work from home jobs for military spouses here should get you started, and who knows, you could have your own business up and running in no time!