List of Healthcare Career Programs for Military Spouses That Are MyCAA Approved
If you’re a military spouse, there’s a Department of Defense program that could help you prepare for a high-demand, portable career. “MyCAA” is the Military Spouse Career Advancement Account. It’s a professional development program that helps military spouses pay for education like associate degrees and certifications necessary get hired in growing professions. You’re eligible if your spouse is currently active duty within pay grades E-1 to E-5, W-1 to W-2, and O-1 to O-2, including members of the National Guard and the Reserves.
The MyCAA scholarship provides up to $4,000 over two years for military spouses to pursue a training and licensing in certain careers. The MyCAA scholarship covers tuition costs for:
- Education leading to an associate degree
- Getting a license
- Obtaining a certificate or certification
The MyCAA scholarship does not cover:
- Equipment and supplies
- Computer and electronic devices
- Parking fees
- Liberal arts degrees with no concentration
- Child care
- Study Abroad Programs
- Continuing education credits
How to Do It
To apply, set up an account on the MyCAA website. Find a participating school on the MyCAA list. It’s recommended that you choose a school that is already participating because approval can take up to 60 days. After eligibility is verified, create a Career and Training Plan and request financial assistance when you’re within 30 days of course start dates. You are responsible for enrolling in each course included in your training plan.
The MyCAA-approved careers include:
- Automotive Services & Transportation
- Business, Finance & Administration
- Information Technology
- Skilled Trades
- Musical Instrument Repair
- Nail Technician
- Sales Manager
Healthcare Training Programs
MyCAA-approved healthcare training programs include:
- Child Development Associate: This certificate program in Childcare and Education allows you to earn your national Child Development Associate (CDA) certification.
- Advanced Clinical Medical Assistant: These professionals perform routine clinical tasks to keep physicians’ offices running smoothly and they’re also trained to conduct electrocardiograms (EKG) and other lab duties.
- Dental Assisting: A dental assistant is tasked with administrative duties and assists dentists during consultations and medical processes.
- Medical Billing and Coding (CBCS): Medical records and health information technicians are the primary professionals whose job duties include billing and coding.
- Medical Coding: Medical coding involves converting diagnosis, procedures, services, and equipment into universal alphanumeric codes.
- Medical Office Manager: This career is a good fit for those interested in managing others, working in an office, helping others, variety, and challenges.
- Medical Terminology: This program is recommended for learners who have no experience with medical terminology or in a medical office.
- Medical Transcription: Medical transcription is the process of converting physicians’ voice-recorded reports into text. Reviewing and editing medical documents using speech recognition technology are also part of the job.
- Medical Billing: This program prepares individuals for entry-level employment in areas such as claims examiner, medical coder, and related occupations in the medical industry.
- Optician Certification Training: Master mathematical formulas, reading prescriptions, the basics of eyewear styles and materials, optician equipment, prisms and lens types, and eye anatomy and eye diseases.
- Pharmacy Technician Training: Learn how to work in pharmacies and hospitals and assist licensed pharmacists who review prescriptions before releasing them to customers.
- Physical Therapy Aide: Master the knowledge and skills to begin a career as a physical therapy aide such as anatomy and medical terminology, patient care skills, infection control, and healthcare ethics and regulations.
- Retail Pharmacy Technician with Customer Service Representative (CPhT): A pharmacy technician works with a pharmacist to dispense medicines and fulfill prescriptions and may also prepare prescription medicines, mix drugs, and maintain inventory.
Demand for healthcare services is increasing, creating more jobs for healthcare professionals in different sectors. This is a great opportunity to build a promising career. Tweet: [bctt tweet="Don’t get stuck in a job – launch a career. The MyCAA scholarship program helps military spouses get the training for in-demand portable careers in healthcare and other fields."] Online courses are a super easy way to complete career training at your own pace anywhere with internet. Explore your options by browsing the MyCAA-approved healthcare training programs at Meditec. With over 40 years in business and 17 years online, Meditec is a leader in quality career training for various industries. Enroll today!